MINTO-MAPLETON – Minor hockey in the northern part of the county might be seeing some changes.
Executives from Drayton Minor Hockey and Minto Minor Hockey have agreed to start the process of amalgamation.
This will require a two-thirds majority vote from members and bench staff from both associations on the evening of Jan. 31 at the PMD Arena in Drayton and the Palmerston Arena and Feb. 1 at the Harriston Arena and again in Drayton.
Presidents from both organizations declined to comment on the potential amalgamation ahead of planned town halls with hockey families but said each association has roughly 175 players.
A posting on both associations’ websites stated if the amalgamation vote goes through, the new association would be called the Mapleton Minto Minor Hockey Association and would start for the 2023-2024 season as long as the Ontario Minor Hockey Association approves the move.
If the vote is not in favour of amalgamation, both organizations carry on as they are.
Benefits noted on the post include:
- A larger pool of volunteers which will allow for more initiatives, larger tournaments, improved player and coach development
- More resources with three rinks to play and practice at within a short distance from each other
- More tiers to give player better options to play at proper skill levels
- Players stay in local minor hockey longer when playing at the appropriate level
- Playing at the correct skill level increases development and fun
- Children will be playing with peers they will be going to high school with
“As each centres demographics continue to change we’re looking for ways to offer the best solutions that will allow hockey to continue to thrive in our communities,” the post stated.
“Amalgamation would help each association offer a hockey program that maximizes player development and fun in part by fielding teams comprised of players with consistent ability at every level. Amalgamations have been happening all around us, if we remain status quo Drayton (D centre), Minto (C centre) it may mean traveling longer distances to play similar centres.”
Drayton Minor Hockey is holding a town hall on the proposal Tuesday at the PMD Arena at 7 p.m. Minto Minor Hockey is holding one Thursday at the Palmerston Arena starting at 7 p.m.