Police are offering tips on how to avoid having your vehicle stolen after another pickup truck was stolen in the county last Friday.
On Friday, the Wellington County OPP received a report of a stolen vehicle. It was reported that at approximately 3:00 a.m., a red, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel crew cab pickup truck with Ontario license plate AM40917 was stolen from a parking lot on St. David Street South.
Video surveillance shows two unknown persons approaching the vehicle and gaining entry. The pickup truck was last seen heading southbound on Highway 6 at a high rate of speed.
On the same day, Wellington County OPP received a report of an attempted vehicle theft that had occurred at approximately 2:45 a.m. at a residence on Cherry Hill Place.
#WellingtonOPP investigating the theft of a red 2021 Dodge Ram 1500 from Fergus @CentrWellington on Jan 20 '23. Last seen heading south on 6 HY. Pls contact OPP at 1-888-310-1122 with any info or @CSGWtips. See below video for some tips on how to protect your vehicle. ^JU pic.twitter.com/kzMSQFwMTT— OPP West Region (@OPP_WR) January 24, 2023
At this time, it is too early in the investigation to determine if the two incidents are related. However, the Wellington County OPP would like to remind residents of some steps that they can take to help protect their vehicles:
1. Park your vehicle in your garage if you are able to do so.
2. Use a steering-wheel lock. Do not leave the key for the lock in your vehicle.
3. Use an OBD port lock also referred to as a "port blocker."
4. Store key fobs in a Faraday or RFID pouch.
5. Cover the VIN on the front dashboard with a removable piece of paper or tape. Do not deface the VIN.