MAPLETON – The Township of Mapleton is projecting a tax increase for 2023.
The 2023 draft budget book for Mapleton shows the residential tax rate may rise by 3.89 per cent or an additional $18.41 per $100,000 of assessed value.
This is a larger increase projected than was approved for 2022, which ultimately saw a 1.64 per cent increase approved.
The overall tax levy required is also seeing a big jump from around $8.8 million in 2022 to nearly $9.5 million, almost a seven per cent increase.
This budget looks at the township tax rate only and not the upper-tier county’s levy which is included on a resident’s tax bill.
The township is working with a bigger budget than in previous years with an operating budget of $15.1 million and a capital budget of $7.6 million.
Some capital budget highlights include:
- Moorefield Water System Renewal at nearly $2 million
- Two bridge replacements for approximately $900,000 and $680,000 respectively
- Three different sections of Sideroad 15 for a total of $1.2 million
- New excavator at $267,500
- $300,000 for the township office elevator and stairwell
This draft budget book will first come to Mapleton council at a meeting on Tuesday afternoon.
The full draft budget can be found here.